I’m a pretty big baseball fan…but I’ve never actually felt the urge to come to blows with fans of a rival team. From what I gather about Soccer, the premise is that if you attend a game without taking the life of at least 4 other individuals you’re a poseur.
Really the only thing I have to compare that level of fanaticism to, are Bills fans up near Buffalo. Every single day, regardless of season, the Buffalo Bills are the front page of the sports section in Buffalo. Mark McGuire broke Roger Marris’ single season homerun record? Who cares? Our third-string running back has a new work-out regiment. Anything less than four articles about how this affects the team would be criminal. Michael Jordan’s come out of retirement? Sure, I guess that’s interesting, but where would we put our 12 page spread on the trainer’s switch from Advil to Tylenol? I mean for a team who did nothing but finish second place (which is just a fancy way of saying “loser”) the level of coverage is completely absurd.
I’ve actually been to a soccer game before. Apparently it’s all the rage over in Rochester, NY. (And if it’s popular in Rochester, all I can say is “Watch out Utica!”) I watched the game for a while and finally asked, “How many teams are out there?”
“Only two. The refs wear different color uniforms.”
“Why are there three guys named ‘Renaldo’? Don’t these people have first or last names? Are they like ‘Cher’ or ‘Sting’?”
“I don’t know…that’s just the way it’s done.”
“Hey, did that guy just give Renaldo 3 a green speeding ticket?”
“They’re called ‘cards’ in soccer.”
“The irony of this situation is that’s the only green card Renaldo will ever get.”
There was a lot more, but essentially this is what I learned about the game:
- It’s some primitive form of “Land Hockey.”
- Except no one carries sticks.
- The only time you’re allowed to use your hands is flail femininely at your opponent when you think the ref’s not watching.
- Unless you’re a goalie. If you’re a goalie, you have to prove that you’re cooler than the rest of the players by wearing a different color uniform.
- The game is basically 4 hours of men in gay short shorts running through a field interspersed with scoring celebrations.
- Said celebrations entail more running through the field and engaging sweaty, lingering man-hugs.
I guess I just don’t get Soccer. Not that Soccer fans should be all that upset. It's only one of a long list of sports and "pseudo-sports" whose purpose eludes me. Rather than single them all out, I'll just say this: If the only thing preventing females from stepping into the ring and wiping the floors with you so called "professionals" is bigotry and the fear of being exposed as the nansies that you are, give up the dream, man. Seriously, stop calling it a "sport" and admit that you're just a bunch of homoerotic hacks whose "talent" is roughly as impressive as learning all the languages from “Star-Trek.” You’re not an athlete: you’re just a loser with a moderately entertaining party trick.
FYI, I still call tennis “Land Pong.”
5 comments:
OK, I just saw highlights of today's World Cup game. Did anyone else find it ironic that the German's wear white uniforms?
For a guy who isn't a fan you sure seem to be watching more than I expected.
It is amusing to me that anything other than what they are used to or comfortable with isn't interesting to many Americans.
Were you aware that the world cup is the most viewed sporting event around the world? More than the olympics, more than baseball and certainly more than football (the less popular american form of course.)
AS for talent - let's see one of the baseball players run up and down a soccer field for longer than 10 minutes. (not likely to happen unless they significantly increase their current drug use).
You stil amuse me to no end, but come on now..........
I think you miss-quoted me! My point about talentless "athletes" was not directed at soccer players. It was pretty much directed exclusively at NASCAR drivers and Golfers. The hint was the bit about the females causing an uproar by competing (or trying to).
Also, just because lots of people like something doesn't make it good. Particularly if the people in question are European. Case and point: David Hasselhoff.
I have to laugh about the Hasselhoff bit.
I am not a sports fan so I could never really figure out why people wouldn't be out playing sports instead of sitting on their asses watching it on telly or in a stadium...
I mean, if we put it into perspective, would we rather be watching porn or actually be having sex?
I think a combination of the two would be the ideal answer.
It is much more enjoyable to play a sport, have knowledge about it and watch it. Not unlike the second option - sex or watching porn. Once again a combination of the two would be the best choice.
I'll say it again, you still amuse me to no end. The David Hasselhoff bit is great!
Post a Comment