Friday, July 25, 2008

Guess Who's Back?

I guess I should find it ironic that after years of joking that my company would “get wise and fire me” they almost did. Sadly, I think it’s one of those things that will only become amusing years later.

Basically what happened is that I got into a dispute with a douche-bag of a co-worker and when I complained to HR, he sent my blog to the company president.

The funniest part of this was that I then had to go into a meeting and defend my job to an HR woman who may actually be functionally retarded.

Alleged HR Retard: Well, we're concerned about how your slanderous writing reflects on the company.
Me: You shouldn’t be. When it’s in print, it’s called “Libel.”
Alleged HR Retard: Well, still…When you get sued…
Me: The only person in my blog who isn’t anonymous is me. I’m crazy, but I don’t think I’m crazy enough to set a president of trying to sue myself for defamation. Also, it’s not actionable if the “libel” actually happened.
Alleged HR Retard: FINE. But the point is that you’re representing the company when you blog.
Me: You mean my anonymous blog represents the company? The one where I never post a last name or mention where I work?
Alleged HR Retard: But your picture is up there.
Me: So your theory is that someone will see a picture of me and somehow know the name of the horrible company that employs me?

We went round and round like this for a while but the end result was this:
  1. I was put on probation and forbidden from blogging again under threat of termination.
  2. A black mark went on my “permanent record.” I can only assume it appears next to the incident in 3rd grade when I was sent home for swearing.

The bottom line of all this was, “Your time here is up. We want you gone, but don’t want to get sued.”

So what have I been doing since then? Well the person who started this whole shit-storm is very high up. So it’s given me immense pleasure to stick around and rub his nose in the fact that he’s such a lightweight he couldn’t even get me fired.

That’s been the fun part. The sucky part has been trying to find another job, because as much as I bitch about how giant and evil this company is, I’ve generally enjoyed working here.

Monday, I’m off to a new (and better) job. Where, instead of being the bottom step of the company, I’ll be carpet on the bottom step. Ah, sweet progress!

Will I return again? Of course! Check back later today when I dedicate an entire post to the light-weight, incompetent, douche-bag who started all this!


free webpage hit counter

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I had a feeling that there would be a bit of deliciousness posted here!

I can't wait to read about this mystery ex-co-worker! ;)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are back. This is awesome. AWESOME. I figured that you had either (a) died, (b) been thrown in jail (for one of many reasons) or (c) someone had discovered your blog and which resulted in (a) or (b).

Welcome back!
Derek (from TAG)