Apparently a winning driver accidentally said “shit” on the air during a victory speech, causing hundreds of angry letters to the station and the FCC. Apparently, it seems that a number of parents were incensed that a curse word was uttered while they watched TV with their kids. I guess they feel that this could potentially scar their kids for life.
At this point, I wanted to slap every single NASCAR dad who wrote in. I mean pimp slap. Open palm, right across those gap-tooth, inbred mouths, so hard their heads ring and those eyes well up with tears like the first time they sat on Uncle Ray-Ray’s lap.
Let me explain something: last week the same kids and parents got to see a guy killed live on TV. KILLED. As in, run over at 200 miles an hour. As in he no longer breathes. How the FUCK is that less damaging than hearing an adult yell a four letter word in a moment of joy?
This is the type of hypocritical bullshit that absolutely drives me nuts about this country. Here’s the deal: if you’re REALLY into protecting children from damaging influences, you’re not allowed to be pro-violence. No quibbling. It’s exactly the same beef I have with Walmart. Walmart sells guns, condoms but no CDs that contain any curse-words. Basically, they’re saying that it’s ok to kill people, and it’s ok to fuck people, but don’t you DARE write a song about killing or fucking people.
Walmart really sums up America for me: bloated, out-of-control, and completely over-run by rednecks.
Sometimes I get really bothered by the fact that it’s so uncool to care about anything these days. I think back to the 60’s and all the bands writing about serious controversial stuff: anti-war, anti-establishment, anti-government. Yeah the hippie movement burned out on weed, acid and the 70’s, but at least it was a generation that encouraged kids to be interested, empowered, and active. I think kids today are too interested in getting rich, getting laid, and sitting on their ass.
I think we need more angry role-models. It pisses me off when girls want to be like Paris Hilton and guys want to be like 50 Cent. Yeah, it’d be great to be rich, pretty, dumb, and slutty, but maybe it’s time that our generation set our goals a bit higher.
7 comments:
You are so on base with this!
While we're on the subject of NASCAR, can I mention that I detest the sport that promotes the burning of fossil fuels in the name of entertainment? What about global warming? It's bad enough that these same people who watch are driving around in their SUVs and doing the same? What kind of f-ing example are they setting?
Not a good one, that's for sure.
Oh, and good point about Walmart too. I won't even set foot near the place.
Thanks for this post. We need more like them!
I don’t know about today’s post, though I do agree of the banality of the sport and the utter hypocrisy that seems to go unnoticed aside from a select few, we too have become part of that lack luster society that turns a blind eye to a lot of social issues. We have become a society with a general sentiment “if it doesn’t interfere with my life why should I care”. Only when a law comes to change the things we enjoy (free speech) then we get up in arms, how could this happen, well these people get away with it why should these people suffer. When in realty the officials that passed this vote were the same people you didn’t get up of your lazy Asses during election time and vote against them.
And to all you bleeding heart liberals, with your causes. Please give me a break; you two have become sheep to whatever the Sunday time says is the new epidemic. Everyone is screaming for a leader why doesn’t one of you become it? Leaders like MLK didn’t just cry about the problems in the world they went out and fixed them. The reason is, in today’s world no leaders have stepped up in fear of rejection by the masses. Look at what happened with America, a few years ago we started a war and if you did not support the war you were anti-patriotic. How many people support the war now, knowing it was wrong back then?
We have become the greatest heard of sheep in this planets existence. Roman had it right to set up a democracy, but it always knew that the power still was with the people not the ones that were elected to rule. We as a people have lost our way, we have fallen in line to get shit on but just enough were we will not snap. And we are continuing to raise generations of children that will never question anything, they’ll just take it. The world is changeable but it takes action not bitching.
The answer is MTV. If MTV makes important things important, the world will follow.
I love it when the token conservative decides to chime in with their two cents of bullshit. The main problem with this country isn't a lack of Liberal involvement... it's with Conservative Domination of the Political process with their self-centered "Values & Morals". The problem is how the Republican Party has morphed Christian Values (as ridiculous, contradictory and nonsensical as they are) with Politics, making them the first "Religious" political party in the history of this country.
If you wanna talk turkey, you gotta be prepared to eat your fill on the subject that you tout as important to you from time to time. I voted the last two elections, and I voted for the person that I felt was best qualified
and, more importantly, was intelligent enough to be able to function as this nations leader, and on both occassions, I didn't vote for the simian we have in office now... the funny thing is that most ot the people in this country didn't vote for him, either.
Oh, and MLK wasn't a Liberal... he was a Christian Conservative who wanted equality for his people. I know that many people like to call other people who value Fairness, Equality and Decency "Liberals", but that's not always the case. Nor was Rome a Democracy... it was a Republic; where it was completely appropriate for your lesser political contemporaries to shank you in the back like they do in prison merely to get your position of authority. They didn't have anything right, thats why ROME FELL.
No leaders have stepped forward to talk about what is important in this country, because your pseudo-McCarthist Republican brethren like to call them "Socialist" or, "Communist" when the subject of a National Heath-Care system comes up. People with brilliant ideas are stepped on and called "Un-American" for saying that the Capitalist system isn't always the best way to go... sometimes you have to look out for your own citizens from time to time moreso than having such a massive, engourged hard-on for "The Bottom Line".
As for saying that we are the worlds biggest herd of sheep, I think that China would disagree with you on that one. Which is sort of ironic, since the border-line slave labor that the Chinese Government has there are the ones who build all that useless shit that is sold at Wal-Mart. If you don't believe me, try looking it up.
And trust me, there's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion... it's American to say what you think, no matter how divisive or riddled with sedition you view it to be. If you have a problem with free speech, jackass... go to Cuba, you'd feel right at home there. Otherwise, we welcome your opinion, as backwards and idiotic as it may seem... it's still your right.
I do love it when a liberal retorts it always seems to little to late. Well here goes, the lack of liberal unity and involvement is your biggest problem. It is simple to say that conservatives do this and that, but at least we stand for what we believe in, and if you haven’t noticed others share our sentiment. If your liberal party had a backbone and didn’t fold when the going go tough then we wouldn’t have this conversation, but we are so I feel I have to humor your naive ideals.
I am happy that you took part in the electoral process; I will have to take your word for it. So that puts you in the minority of your generation that decided to put down the bong and take a proactive stance. Your generations hope for the best but do nothing about it mantra is fine idealism in fairy tales but it does not apply in the real world. What is bothersome is they have the nerve to bitch after they’ve done nothing, a truly admirable liberal trait.
MLK God rest his soul, in my opinion was a liberal, which means he was a person that took upon a new idea and was willing to shun the traditional values. Also I believe Rome fell because of its people but now we are arguing semantics, so we will not waste any more time on that.
To continue, so your saying there are no leaders because my party calls them names. Let me put it to you in an MTV sort of light. In grade school, on the playground, if someone called you names or spoke ill of your mother what did you do? A reference about me I was never a big kid growing up but when the bully started to pick on me I fought him and somehow I kicked his ass (by the way I fought clean, hand to hand) from that point on he spoke to me with respect. It’s amazing what happens when you try. So if your only excuse is name calling (because that’s what it is and simply is) why there are no leaders it goes back to my backbone point, TRY SHOWING SOME. Oh and capitalism is what made this country, have no illusions my boy. The America everyone wants to be a part of is great. Political structures have flaws but you must not forget what got us here in the first place.
China if I’m not mistaken is still communist, they don’t have a choice, we do, and we choose sheep.
Lastly, you misunderstood what I said about free speech and other things, if you read with understanding you’d get it, but I blame the public schools for that. We should give more to our teachers. Never the less it been fun kiddo.
You know, it's always interesting seeing someone use a needling, condescending voice in their writing... because when it comes down to it, I'm a grown man and a Veteran of the U.S. Navy. You and I were both short kids, (so we have at least one thing in common) but where I grew up, people didn't talk trash, they just attacked you... and I've got a lot of interesting scars as evidence of that.
Many of those same scars are from cracker-barrel white kids who thought it was cool to attack little Black and Mexican kids in my neighborhood, but I stood up for the little guys... and I never stopped. Unlike the Republican Party, who last time I checked hasn't had a President in their party that gave a shit about anyone but wealthy people in this country since Lincoln.
It's very interesting also that you point out how flawed Liberals are until it comes to someone like MLK, then you turn into all love and hugs about it. Liberals have lots of great ideals, but Liberals have been demonized by the Religious Right since I was a little kid, and more often than not, they mis-labeled people as "Liberals" in order to suit their own ends, such as Tipper Gore and Joel Lieberman, who are anything but "Liberal"... in fact, they're more along the line of a prudish "Conservative".
Liberals lack the organization of the Conservative Movement, yes, but that's always the way it is at first, because we haven't been building a "Liberal Base" for the last twenty years. It's difficult to get a wide and diverse group of people from different ethnicities, religious beliefs and incomes to all get along and focus on a common goal. But, if you noticed, all the scandals that happened in the last five years are so numerous that it makes the Republicans look like hypocrites for making such a big deal of the whole "Clinton got a BJ" thing.
As for my Generation contributing to the Electoral Process, we always have, it's just that no one gave a crap about us until recently, when people started to realize that Bush may actually win the Presidency... and then they started to point the finger at us; expecting us to turn the tide for them... and we couldn't.
But, if so much of the American public shares your narrow interpretation of the "American Dream" and the President with you, why is it that I can't find more than one in ten people that actually think that he shouldn't be impeached? The answer to that, of course, is that most people don't share your views.
All that time (mid 80's to now) that the media and politicians have shit-talked about "Liberals" has finally come around to bite you guys on the ass, and you guys just can't stand the taste of loss in your mouths. If you think for one second that the majority of the American People are going to elect another Republican President that calls him/herself a "Conservative"... you're dreaming.
I also love to hear from someone who gave up on his ideals trying to dole out criticism on me for holding to mine... it reminds me of why I'm glad that soon your generation won't be in power for much longer... since you don't tend to get that as the future changes, so must this country.
Capitalism is what is ruining this country, old man, and you'll see why when your social security is gone and you become a burden on your own family since you can't take care of yourself anymore, and your insurance rates have tripled beyond your own ability to pay for them yourself. That will be your legacy... a broken system that was fine until November of 2000.
Also, I'd like to say that you did make some good points about general hypocrisy in American society in your original posting... the only problem is that instead of being honest and pointing the finger at us all, you pointed the same direction as most of the Ditto-Heads do, and that's not honest at all.
Post a Comment