Monday, February 13, 2006

Lawyers, Guns and Money

I’m sure much will be made in the blogosphere about Dick Cheney shooting a guy over the weekend. There were really only two comments I have about the whole incident.

The first is how sensitive we’ve become over violence. I believe Alexander Hamilton was the last Vice-President to shoot someone…while in office, at least. But Andrew Jackson used to duel. He even beat off an assassination attempt with a cane.

Normally I’d be the first one to jump on Cheney (he is, after all, one of the 50 most Loathsome people in America), but in his defense:

1) His pact with Satan not-with-standing, the man can only survive so many heart attacks. Cut him some slack

And

2) It was a lawyer. And a republican crony lawyer at that. I think we can let this one slide.

Besides, anyone stupid enough to pose for the picture below and still make the major news due to gun carelessness deserves our pity. It’s the political equivalent of Magic Johnson endorsing condoms a few months before announcing he had HIV.




On to other topics...

I woke up today to a Sports Center interview with Ron Artest. For those of you who don’t follow sports, Ron Artest has a six year deal that will earn him $42 million dollars. He also charged into the stands and assaulted a fan who threw a cup of beer at him, inciting a riot, gave an interview where he said he wanted to desert his team for two months to work on his rap career and demanded to be traded from a team that had stood by him and supported him through out.

It’s a sucky way to start your day. Well, it would have been sucky enough if he was just giving a standard “I just want to put the past behind me and do what’s good for the team” interview. But within 15 seconds of consciousness I heard this exchange that flipped me from barely cognoscente to a full-on, murderous rampage:

Pretty dark-hair Interviewer: Ron, why do think you have a bad image?

Artest: Racism.

You know, African Americans have been discriminated against in the past. There’s no way around that. They got a genuinely raw deal and racism is a terrible and all too prevalent reality in American Society. But you are not allowed to assault someone and claim people hate you because of racism. You certainly can’t make $42 million dollars over six years and complain about being discriminated against. Ron, people don't hate you because you're black. People hate you because you’re an immature dick who refuses to exert any self-control, forethought or consideration. Your life resembles nothing so closely as a plantation owner circa 1823. If you’re being discriminated against, I’m Malcolm Fucking X. Shut you’re privileged ass up and play ball.

Somehow both my heart and my TV survived the interview, but Sports Center: You’ve been warned.



free webpage hit counter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently read on BBC new that this shooting is really damaging Dick C’s reputation. Wow, I have to say how fucking stupid the American public is. Lets go over Dick’s resume and see what he has done in the last couple over years.

As a leading proponent of war on Iraq, he famously declared in August 2002 that there was "no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction".
And as former chief executive of Halliburton he faced awkward questions after the firm won big contracts to help supply the US military in Iraq in 2003.
More recently, his former chief of staff Lewis Libby learnt he faces trial next January on charges relating to the leaking of a CIA agent's identity to the press.

After all that and probably more this is what tarnish his rep, you got to be fucking kidding me. I just want to get this strait in my head so I don’t think I am on a different planet. He was one of many that lied about the reasons for going to war, which sent many fine American boys to their deaths, got his friends and himself rich off the war and surrounds himself with people that have obviously sold their souls and shooting a republican lawyer is what’s going to bring his reputation down. I just wanted to make sure I got that. Way to go Dick you are a true American Hero. Cheers.