Saturday, March 25, 2006

Name That Mental Illness Or Physical Defect and Other Joys Of Dating

Princess, thanks so much for mercilessly pimping my blog. I often think if everyone who read my posts here told three friends, and each of them told three friends…I’d still have no social life and make no money. But at least I’d be popular…to strangers…over the internet.

Speaking of online friends, my buddies and I recently had a discussion about the loserliness of internet dating. Lots of people feel that meeting someone over through the computer is the dating equivelent of food shopping at the dollar store. I'm not sure I agree.

When I first started blogging, way back when I was still using My Space, I wrote a bit about how I didn’t understand the online dating process. Now I’m a little bit older and a little bit wiser…well, older anyway. I’ve actually successfully picked a few girls up online so I guess I have more perspective on the whole phenomena.

Picking someone up in cyberspace is like the opposite of going down to a singles bar. At a bar or a club, the music is usually turned up so load that you can’t speak to anyone. When you pick someone up, it’s based almost entirely on appearance. I mean, girls say they like a guy with a sense of humor. How exactly am I supposed to make you laugh when horrible music is blasting at decibels and frequencies meant to collapse high-rises? Essentially, you go to a club to hook up with someone good looking. Why do those relationships fall apart? Because sooner or later you realize that she’s a bitch, or an idiot, or trying to harvest your kidneys for sale on the black market.

When you pick someone up online, you’re getting to know all about their personality. Intelligence, sense of humor, beliefs…you know, all those little things that I hear are so important to a working relationship. The downside is you might not be physically attracted to the other person when you finally get together. Come on, all of us have those pictures that make us look amazing. And we sure as hell flaunt them online at every opportunity. When you finally meet someone you’ve only seen pictures of, you realize little things like: wow, maybe you should have told me that you just got out of the burn-victims ward; leprosy is not Indian for “sexified;” no, you definitely never mentioned that you were not “technically” a woman; and there really is no such thing as a “young 85.”

Online dating sucks…but I don’t think it sucks any more than regular dating. I guess meeting people is hard, because ultimately, we’re not looking for “people,” we’re looking for a special someone. I don’t think that online dating should carry any kind of social stigmatism these days. There are bad dates aplenty out there, both online and in bars. Some have goiters the size of a football helmet. Others stab you with a power-drill while you sleep because they think you’re “planning to leave, just like daddy.” So don’t hate against the online daters. There are plenty of psychos and sideshow freaks to go around.

free webpage hit counter

4 comments:

Princess said...

No problem. I'm happy to be your blog pimp. You already have 2 of my friends reading (shelka & shmamber) and if you don't mind I would like to pass the link on to a few others.

Your entries are incredibly funny and I have enjoyed every single one of them.

Plus I think it might do you some good to have a female perspective and to learn just how fantastic Canadian women are.

As for this post. I agree with you. Dating at our age sucks. I have began to ask myself whether majority of single men out there suffer from a neurological defect.(it's hard being a psychiatric nurse and not wondering about possible mental inllness in men my age)

I have never tried the online dating thing but I personally know 2 couples who are now married and have children and who this method worked out for.

Eeeeekkk said...

"If I don't mind"! Ha! I have a counter that I put into the blog...and I'm obsessive about checking how many people read my stuff. Last week I got 62 hits in a day and I had to dance around my room for about 20 minutes in celebration. By all means, spread the word.

I agree that our generation is totally fucked up interms of how we go about meeting people...but somehow I doubt it was EVER a great time. It's not like the middle ages was all that hot for true love. Back then you were married off at 12 to whomever had the most land. So I guess I can't blame our stupidity on the "rap music" or those "rock 'em sock 'em robots" or the "low pants."

I've never been with a Canadian girl before...I'm still trying to figure out how the conversion rate works. I would guess that you women are about 17% smaller than your American Counterparts. Is the age of consent different up there? I know about the lower drinking age so I guess I imagine 15 year old girls getting hammered and putting out...not that I find that appealing, it would just stand to reason that Canadian women, having more practice, might be substantially better.

I'll just continue to assume the best until I hear otherwise.

shmamber said...

I met the man I am with online. He is from Sunny Califonia, and he moved to Winterpeg for yours truly.... That was 3 years ago, and I am going through normal relationship problems, but I love him to death!!

Age to drink -18
Age of consent for sex -16 (which was just increased from 14)
Age for pornagraphic pictures- 18..... Makes you wonder eh?

Shelley Cook said...

yeah, i put you on my links section, cause you are hilarious, and I think I need to share you with the world...

Thanks for finding him Princess!!!

Kisses,