Thursday, January 05, 2006

Body Musings

A while ago, I wrote a blog about men and body hair. I was recently attacked because in the last paragraph I state that I encourage women to shave. Allow me to elaborate.

Women are generally better about basic body-care and grooming than men. It might be the weight of our society for women to look perfect or it might just be in their nature. Generally, all I want to see regarding a woman’s body hair is that she put some effort or consideration in. That’s all. I don’t need to see the lyrics to your favorite Led Zeppelin song shaved into your pubic hair. I don’t need to see fancy designs and hedge mazes. All I want to see is some degree of effort to make the area hospitable.

If a woman wants to shave, that’s fine. If not, no big deal. The only thing I ask is that you at least make an effort to beat back the jungle. Bear in mind, that this request is for practical reasons, not aesthetic ones. Hair not only obstructs air-flow of the muff-diving adventurer, it also tends to soak up moisture. After about 10 minutes, going down on an untrimmed girl is a lot like trying to lick your way through a week-dead platypus: wet, smelly, and all-around weird. I like going down on women, but I’d rather not spend the rest of the evening hacking up hairballs as a result.

As far as other body hair goes…I suppose I would date someone if they didn’t shave, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t prefer a smooth woman. It’s mostly because I figure that I have enough hair for the both of us.

Women as a group definitely spend way more time obsessing about their bodies in general. A lot of girls I know like to get up and throw on a sweatshirt or something right after sex. A lot of them also like to deny when they know they look good.

I don’t like to play the “I look fat” game with girls. If I thought you were fat, I wouldn’t have just spent 120 bucks on food and a movie, not to mention hours of my life pretending I care about your friends just to get you into bed. My new strategy is to agree with them. I’ll say, “You look great” and “you have a beautiful body” and I’ll say it without prompting and on my own. If I get a response like, “No, I’m fat” I’ll disagree—once. That’s all every woman gets: one, “No, you look great.” After that I’ll just say, “You’re right. I was just lying to make you feel better, Saddlebags.”

It’s a lesson that my female comrades picked up on pretty quickly. For example, I went shopping with my High School friends when they went to buy prom dresses. “Ehren,” they’d say, “What do you think of this one?” That’s when I’d take a moment to size them up and say something like, “Wow. That one really highlights your hips.”

Guys really don’t think about their bodies all that much…at least I don’t. I know I’m not…who the hell do the girls swoon over these days…umm…Morgan Freeman, but I’m pretty comfortable with me. And I have no qualms about flopping down naked after sex. Although that might also be because, provided it’s done right, immediately after I’m incapable of any movement.

free webpage hit counter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think what women mind most is that we don’t appreciate the time it takes to groom. As a man that has plucked his own eyebrows once, until realizing that shaving them would be quicker, plucking sucks and hurt so from time to time let your woman know its appreciated I say, cuz honestly their not doing it for Jesus.