“For most people, music is something going on in the background. But for musicians, it’s all there is.”
People get annoyed with me when I’ll interrupt them to point out a drum riff, or a guitar solo, or a great lyric. I don’t mean to be rude…I just feel like music is generally more important.
If you read this blog regularly, you’ll know that I think and talk about relationships and sex a lot. The only thing I think about more than sex is music.
Music is important. REALLY important. Other people can get by saying, “Oh, I like a little of everything.” Musician’s can’t. I have to know that you’re into good music. For example, I have a friend who dated a drummer. The drummer played death metal. My friend hates metal, but tried to fake an interest…or at least a tolerance. Unfortunately, this meant that she had to listen to metal every time they got in the car, he talked about it all the time and then there were the actual shows she had to attend. Try to imagine an Italian Princess from Long Island at a death Metal show. Needless to say, the whole thing was a disaster.
I’m a sucker for creative girls, but especially musicians. I’m such a groupie. I don’t really care whether they sing, play guitar, or play the electric xylophone, musicians really Roger my Hammerstein. Maybe it’s because I know that we’ve got that one special thing in common. Or maybe it's just because I can see their good with their mouths or hands. Either way, I’m not fighting it.
I’m not really sure what it is that attracts women to musicians. We’re unstable, unreliable, and probably substance-addicted. I’d say that it’s creativity, but I’ve seen really, really bad musicians get girls just because they played. So who the hell knows? I guess it’d be hypocritical to get too rough on them considering I’ve got the same weakness. Whatever the reason, thank God!
I was recently asked about my favorite sex songs. Music to have sex to is key. It’s got to have a groove, but it can’t rock too hard or it’ll kill the mood. You want it to be mellow, but not too mellow. If anyone’s looking for a good list, I humbly offer the following suggestions (some of the songs are a bit rare—you might have to do some digging to find them):
AC/DC – Ride On
Al Green - Here I Am Baby
Albert King – I’ll Play The Blues For You, Pt. 1
Allman Brothers – Stormy Monday (live from the Fillmore East)
B.B. King – Blues Man
Bill Frisell – Over The Rainbow
Black Crows – She Talks to Angels
Dave Brubeck – Take 5
Derek Trucks – D Minor Blues
Dire Straights – Sultans of Swing
Dusty Springfield – Spooky
Eric Clapton – Layla (acoustic)
Etta James – At Last
Lou Reed – Take a Walk on the Wild Side
Louis Armstrong – What a Wonderful World
Medeski, Martin and Wood – Bubblehouse
Nina Simone – Sinnerman
Otis Redding – Try a Little Tenderness
Stevie Ray Vaughan – Little Wing
Sublime – Santeria
Susan Tedeschi – Just Won’t Burn
Robert Rodreguez – El Mariachi
Tracy Chapman – Give Me One Reason
Van Morrison – Moon Dance
Obviously, this is a partial list. I left off the obvious ones like “Let’s Get It On” and “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love” (Marvin Gaye and Barry White). The problem is that songs like that have become too much of a cliché. If anyone’s got other suggestions, post up, bitches!
No comments:
Post a Comment